Dido dating

There is every reason to believe that there are at least another 150 lost or unmarked graves, many dating back to the earliest burials, making a possible total of 950 to 1000 graves. Thurmond served as postmaster at Dido, as revealed by the National Archives in Washington.In 1875 Dido was described as being well established, with a voting population of 55 and a one teacher school of 43 students.This family took up 640 acres of state land in 1856. Seven generations of Thurmonds have attended the Dido Cemetery annual meetings.

dido dating-31dido dating-36dido dating-62

In a foregoing paragraph we stated that Miss Sadie Holt taught a subscription school at Dido in 1885.

Montgomery Harman taught in a one room county school on the cemetery grounds in 1887-1888.

A few others graves were already there, but were marked only by sandstones scattered among the corn rolls to be hidden from curious Indians. The land for the cemetery was donated by Dempsey S. This deed was dated July 23, 1887, the land being conveyed to the trusteeship of Tarrant County Judge Sam Furman. Families moving into the area since the pioneer period have found a beautiful and peaceful place for the resting places of their loved ones and their descendants.

The first marked grave at Dido Cemetery is that of Amanda Thurmond, infant daughter of J. An additional part of an acre was likewise deeded by Dr. Van Zandt for the same purposes as mentioned by Dempsey S. The area has been settled in the main by Anglo-Saxon Americans and it is their burial ground.

Dido was the name of an early day village and community in northwestern Tarrant County, situated on a high hill overlooking the valley of the West Fork of the Trinity River, now occupied by Eagle Mountain Lake.

The little town was given the name Dido sometime between 18 by an itinerant Latin and Greek scholar and Penmanship teacher, honoring Dido, the famed mythological Queen of Carthage.

During the Depression Years, a caretaker was employed to “keep the cemetery”. In 1971 the Board of Directors under the chairmanship of C. Harvey obtained a deed of all the land described in the original Holt and Van Zandt deeds, conveying said property from Tarrant County Judge Howard Green to the Dido Cemetery Association.

These men worked for whatever small amounts could be collected at the annual homecoming, which was set for the last Sunday in April. The Dido Cemetery is still serving the descendants of the pioneer settlers and many others who have moved into the area.

A large two room County school replaced the old building about 1914.

Tags: , ,